Thursday, February 11, 2010

Bump Appeal

Sometimes I miss being pregnant. I miss it because when I'm pregnant I feel like I have permission to be curvy.

I've been sucking in my tummy for at least 20 years. Every since puberty impacted my body gave me a DD cup, I got the kind of attention I thought I wanted then wished I didn't have. I slouched my shoulders and tried to slink away into the background.

Then at 33 years old with a burgeoning bump housing my first child, I suddenly found myself liberated. No more sucking my tummy in. No more slouching. I found myself walking taller (especially before the final month when I was robbed of my ability to walk city blocks in stilettos), and figure hugging clothes became my new BFF. It was a revelation.

I wish I could say it was because maternal instincts were kicking in, but the reality is it was vanity induced. When you're pregnant people look at your curves with admiration and affection. My bump made me approachable and friendly. My ogle worthy DD cup was now nurturing. By sharing my body with my baby I slowly took ownership of my body and it became something to celebrate.

Post pregnancy everything shifted from nurturing to providing nutrition and there were yet more issues to wrap my head around, but I have noticed a shift in how I feel about my body. I certainly don't wake up every day celebrating it as I did when I was pregnant but it has more character than ever before. I miss wearing figure hugging clothes with abandon and I and exert a lot of energy again sucking in my tummy - but not always.

I will always be grateful for how pregnancy opened up my mind to how I perceive my body. I doubt my tummy sucking in/slouching ways will every be cured forever, but my bump appeal has been replaced by my children appeal, and I have the great fortune to spend my days with unbelievably beautiful bumps at work.

So if you are pregnant, embrace your curves. Throw caution to the wind and learn to celebrate your body. It's liberating.

"Does This Pregnancy Make Me Look Fat" By Claire Mysko and Magali Amadei
Bump Brooklyn

No comments:

Post a Comment