Thursday, August 16, 2012

The right fit.

This blog is a little sporadic - it veers from statements about fashion, to childhood recollections, my journey through motherhood and through a variety of random topics and thoughts.  But recently I've had writers block and have not been entirely sure what to write about or where to find inspiration.  As it turns out my inspiration was right in front of me.  

Boobs.

(Sometimes a that word needs a line dedicated all to itself.)

You see about a month ago I finally accepted that I needed help finding a good bra that fits well and it has been a revelation.

Boobs in many way are the epitome of femininity and so carry a lot of weight in our journey through womanhood.  Unless you are fortunate enough to be a 34C you will most likely spend your life wishing you were more or less physically endowed.  During my teenage years I tried to squeeze myself into that magical size, even though it was abundantly clear that the bra barely covered enough ground.  Having big boobs gave me the kind of attention I thought I wanted but as it turned out I really didn't.

So begrudgingly I went to Marks & Spencer to be fitted.  I'm sure many British women will remember vividly stepping behind that curtain a little red faced and anxious.  As I stood there, half naked being prodded and having a tape measure wrapped around me, I was mortified to learn that I was a 34DD.  With a heavy heart I was forced to accept that thin strapped, delicate, pretty bras were not in my future.  I needed support and that support wasn't very pretty.



20 years later that time came upon me again and I made the journey to see Iris the Bra Fitter.  She's pretty famous in Brooklyn and I now understand why.  I was a little more comfortable standing there half naked and being eyed up and down by her scrupulous eye but is still wasn't exactly my idea of a fun date.

Naively I had hoped that miraculously I had become a 34C and that my future would hold abundant lace pleasantries and sweet gingham plaids.  It didn't.  Little had changed size wise but what had changed were some really beautiful bras that fit me like a glove and made me feel fantastic, so fantastic in fact that I felt the need to flash my rather surprised colleague to show her just how well my new bra fit.

So just like with everything in life, when something fits, it really fits and it's worth getting it just right.



No comments:

Post a Comment