Friday, January 21, 2011

Don't get left out in the cold.


Personally I hate the winter.  It almost makes me dislike the joys of fall because I know it means winter is right behind it.  Sometimes I even resent spring because it never gets here quick enough.  Yes I know that summer brings mosquitoes, sunburn, upper lip perspiration, swamp crotch and fuzzy hair, but I will always prefer being warm to cold.  I hate being cold. We're in the depths of January and my 5 day weather forecast isn't giving me much cause for optimism.  I have been forced to give up my imaginary spring wardrobe planning for the immediate necessity of warm and water proof footwear.  As much as I love Brooklyn, I am always almost seduced by living in different hemisphere this time of year.


The origins of this avid seasonal dislike might come from my Scottish childhood.  We lived in a beautiful old farm house without upstairs heating or modern windows.  It was not unusual to see your breath in the morning when you woke up.  Actually there was one radiator.  You would find my sisters, brother and I huddled around it every morning getting dressed.  We would very carefully divide up the radiator into equal sized sections, place our clothes on top to take the chill off and quickly get dressed. I probably do my childhood a huge disservice telling that story.  It makes it sound like I had a frigid and bleak childhood - it was nothing of the sort.  It was an unbelievably rich, happy, almost idyllic one, but it was certainly cold.

Putting on a brave face with my daughter.
I was my own worst enemy though.  Mini skirts and skimpy blouses didn't really cut it.  It took moving to New York in my 20's to teach me how warm weather dressing is done. New York women just know how to do it every season, every year. 

So how do you do it when you are pregnant?  There are some perks to being pregnant in the winter - your body normally runs much warmer with all the extra blood flowing around you body.  The winter of 2006 and 2008 were definitely the warmest I've ever spent that is for sure.

There is sadly a distinct lack of good down coats out there  that will accommodate a bump or a baby, but here are some current options that we love.

Harvest Open Cardigan by Line
Ian Cardigan by Line





Even if Kennedy and subsequent male politicians have found hats a challenge to their masculinity, if masculinity isn't something that concerns you, be grateful that a hat is just another wonderful self expression opportunity, and a warm one!  I was told once that you loose up to 50% of your heat from your head.  It is not a statistic I have any way of proving, but I do know hats have improved my winter comfort enormously They also almost always make me feel happier because they can be glorious, absolutely glorious.   
  
My friend Lisa Battaglia is an amazing milliner.  Her hats shouldn't be worn if you are feeling particularly shy because you will be inundated with compliments if you wear one of her creations.  Her incredible collection has actually made me almost look forward to feeling a chill in the air. 
"Swinger" by Lisa Battaglia
"Brooklyn" by Lisa Battaglia

Fashion serves as a pick-me-up in my life.  If you are like me it might be time to invest in something that raises your spirits while you wait - patiently - for the temperatures to go up.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment